Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Older Mennonite's Life & Horse Rider

This is their buggy :-)
On the 5-6 October 2013 were the RELIEF SALE in VA. I and my host mother were volunteered in serving people dinner on the first day, it was a great time. On the second days I and east coast Ivepers were having trip in Virginia for the relief sale and explore the Older Mennonite's life. The idea of the relief sale is to raise fund for MCC's mission. They were having different activities in that event. I obviously interested in the auction, it was really fun to see the master of ceremony rap when people bit on something. A quilt could be cost 500-800$ sound really expensive to me but I think because they were willing to help the world and they believed that MCC does a great job, their money are spent for the right thing. Additionally, we went to a farmer community helping them to pulled out the old plant about 1.5 hours then we came back. We were staying at the Older Mennonite's house. The Older Mennonite is a conservative group that is living in a really simple way. They don't use internet, radio, phone, TV, washing machine, car..act their main transportation is horse on buggy. Two things that are really interested for me. Firstly, they are allowed their children to go to school until grade 8 then they are done. They have special school for their children to go that is only for this conservative group. Secondly, women have to dress properly. They are not allowed to show their leg or skin so that they have to wear dress all the time and those dresses are need to be very long and covered every part of their body. I asked them a question, have you ever asked yourself that why you were born in here? They responded me a very perfect answer " We are sacrificed in what we have and where we are, so we have never asked our self this question". Nevertheless, I do respected their decision and I've seen that they are very nice people living in a good community. I wish I could explain you more but it seems very long if I continue.

The Older Mennonite Family
First time on horse
Another thing I did this months was riding horse. I spent my weekend with another Ivepers host family to West Virginia riding horse. The feeling was so scary at the first time I got on the horse because I thought the horse might not understand me when I was in charged. But after I got on his back he knew where to go and where to stop. My horse likes everything clean this is what I observed him during an hour riding since other 4 horses just walked on muddy trail but he didn't. He all the time escaped the muddy trail and walked in a clean trail. That is really funny to see that and was a fun experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment